Mini macarons using Becky’s macaron making kit! I don’t usually use kits or silicone mats, but have to say that these do work for anyone who owns it. The raspberry frosting is a winner as well – we were able to use fresh raspberries from Charles Mart… darn I really miss the days of cheap fresh berries we can get just downstairs of our dorms in the States.
Recipe: Raspberry Macarons from the baking kit by Lekeu ($29.99 from Amazon, which Becky got as a gift)
Ingredients for 30 macarons (the template made relatively mini-sized macarons)
280 g icing sugar
160 g ground almonds
3 egg whites
1 pinch salt
50 g sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
Method: (adapted from Lekeu Baking Kit)
1. Sieve the icing sugar and mix well with the ground almonds.
2. In a bowl, whip the egg whites with an electric mixer, add the salt and gradually add the plain sugar until obtaining a thick meringue. Add half of the icing sugar to the almond and stir gently with a spatula from top to bottom. Add the vanilla sugar and the remaining icing sugar with the almonds and continue stirring gently until blended.
3. Pour part of the mix into the Decomax fitted with the large round tip and make circles in the size indicated by the marks on the baking sheet.
4. Allow to rest between 30-35 minutes at room temperature. Cook in a preheated oven at 150ºC for 20-25 minutes until firm to touch. Repeat the process with the rest of the batter.
5. Fill with raspberry buttercream and raspberry jam or puree